Creating a great digital health startup is not easy. Industry leaders from accelerators and incubators assist by helping you take your idea from the drawing board through to launch.
For the last 4 years our technology has supported many digital health innovators including startups. So, we can probably call ourselves experts on digital health accelerators in the EU. Here are some of our favourites.
Here’s the guide to the most important start up support programmes in Europe in the area of digital health.
Best digital health Bayer Grants4Apps
Location: Berlin, Germany
The purpose: Accelerator for digital health startups that offers free co-working space for about 100 days on Bayer campuses, mentoring from industry leaders and coaching tailored to your needs, networking opportunities and funding up to €50,000. Covers the entire value chain of Startups, from idea to commercial implementation.
Bayer Grants4Apps offers:
- free co-working space for about 100 days on Bayer campuses
- mentoring and coaching tailored to your needs
- networking opportunities
- Bayer contacts to help you with any questions
- Accelerator: funding up to €50,000, mentoring by Bayer managers
We say: Exciting opportunity for early startups supporting the creation of different ecosystems including USA, Turkey and other emerging markets.
Location: Over 20 locations around the world
The purpose: Program for early-stage tech startups for scaling. Program in each city focuses on specific industry, providing an unmatched level of support to the the participants.
We say: Tailored 3-month accelerator programs are designed to support ambitious early-stage companies grow in emerging industries like FoodTech, IoT, Fintech, Smart Cities and Smart Energy. The chapter in Berlin is focused on digital healthcare and supported by major healthcare institutions and industry leaders including Sanofi, Munich Re, Berlin Institute of Health, Deutsche Apotheker und Ärztebank, Vilua and legal support via Dentons.
Location: Milan, Italy
The purpose: It aims at identifying international innovative projects in Life Sciences. In line with Zambon Vision, the 2018 call will be focused on two therapeutics areas like CNS and Respiratory (including Rare Diseases in both areas).
We say: The best accelerator in Italy for digital health startups.
Location: Helsinki, Finland
The purpose: Founded in 2014, Vertical Accelerator seeks to create the value via collaboration between industry leaders and startups. From then more than 70 companies graduated from this program.
We say: Perfect place to get inspired and launch your digital health product.
Location: Helsinki, Finland
The purpose: to support impact startups and showcase the exciting business opportunities in emerging markets, strengthening the networks between the impact actors, engaging the Nordic community with the global impact entrepreneurs, that is as well important for implementing the Agenda 2030.
We say: Best accelerator in Northern Europe, however be ready for the long Finish winters!
Location: Berlin, Germany
The purpose: incubator opening digital health market for startups. The team’s vision, passion and their ideas are the deciding factors when choosing which startups fit our ecosystem.
We say: Perfect for Digital Drugs like ophthalmology, mental and neurological diseases, as well as immunology.
Location: Amsterdam, Holland
The purpose: An accelerator and program that are customised to boost collaboration between startups and corporates. Since 2011, it has invested in more than 150 startups, assisting in raising more than €87 million and hiring more than 700 people.
We say: Powerful accelerator with a huge support team.
Location: London, UK
The purpose: To support uptake and spread of proven, impactful innovations across England’s NHS, benefitting patients, populations and NHS staff. We are delivered in partnership with NHS England and England’s 15 Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs).
We say: Best UK based accelerator for digital health innovators.
Of course, there are many others out there – we list a few of these below. We'd love to hear if you agree with our choices above?
- FICHe Project / FIWARE Accelerator Programme
- Health Innovation Village at GE
- Blueprint Health (NYC) -
- Boomtown Healthtech (Boulder, CO) - Health - BoomTown Accelerator
- Digital Health Accelerator (NYC)
- DreamIT Health (Philadelphia)
- Wellness Accelerator
- EyeFocus Accelerator
- Helios Hub
- Medtech Startup Academy
- Merck Accelerator
- EIT Digital
- Emprende InHealth
- Frogleap Accelerator
- Healthy Habits
- Atlantic Accelerator
- Dotforge Health + Data
- DigitalHealth.London Accelerator
- Startup Health (NYC)
- Technogym Wellness Accelerator (Venice, Italy)
- Techstars Healthcare Cedars Sinai (Los Angeles)
- ZeroTo510 (Memphis, TN)
- Velocity Health (London)
- Venture Hall (Portland, ME)
- Vertical (Espoo, Finland)
- HACKING HEALTH
- Hax Health (Shenzhen, China)
- Health Wildcatters (Dallas, TX)
- Illumina Accelerator (San Francisco, CA)
- Indie Bio (San Fransisco, CA) - The World's Leading Life Science Accelerator - IndieBio
- MedTech’s Got Talent (Melbourne, AUS)
- Merck Accelerator (Darmstadt, German / Nairobi, Kenya) - Merck Accelerator | Home
- NeuroLaunch (Atlanta, GA)
- Patient Safety Health Tech Accelerator (Boulder, CO) - Patient Safety Health Tech - Boomtown
- Plug and Play Health (Cleveland, OH) - Plug and Play Cleveland
- Project Healthcare (Nashville, TN)
- [email protected] (Boston, MA)
- Rockstart (Nijmegen, Netherlands)
- Startupbootcamp Digital Health (Miami, FL & Berlin, Germany & Chengdu, China) - Startupbootcamp Digital Health
This article is part of a series of blog posts in which we take a closer look at the startup ecosystem for digital health entrepreneurs – in the biggest startup ecosystems in the EU. If you would like to read on, we recommend subscribing to our newsletter.